We store canned beans against emergencies and use them up within the year, at the rate of one to two cans per week. We pick organic and Northwest labels. Ideas:
- Garbanzo and salad beans – cold in salads.
- Garbanzo and northern beans – pureed with garlic for a spread.
- Pinto and black beans – added to sauteed onions, mashed for a side dish.
- Lentils – added to sauteed onions, add 1/2 Tbs. garam masala, side dish for Indian spiced dinner.
- Northern beans – with sauteed onion and pork in soup or stew. Winter dish! (Monica Downen of Monica’s Waterfront Bakery and Cafe makes a great version of this).
- Kidney beans, red beans – beans and rice.
- Red beans, northern beans, garbanzo beans – with pasta in a soup.