Small Farms Expo

On Saturday Feb. 9 the WSU Small Farms Team put on the third annual Small Farms Expo. This year’s theme was Gaining Ground, which seemed like a good choice, as the classes and conversations seemed to continue the training and discussion we’ve had in previous years. This year I attended as a vendor, managing the booth for the West Sound Beekeepers Association. Veteran teacher Paul Lundy presented a class, “Sweet Rewards”, discussing backyard beekeeping for pollination and honey. The club is holding its first ever “Farmer-Beekeeper Forum” at the regular meeting Tuesday February 19 at 7 p.m. at Stedman’s Bee Supplies. The idea is to bring farmers together with beekeepers to discuss how to make sure pollination happens for our local farmers. Most of the conversations I had centered on the pollination crisis in the country and locally; many farmers reported a sharp drop in native pollinators last year. I … Continue reading

End of year wishes

Every child in Kitsap to be warm, housed and fed. Every person living in the county woods by my house to have a better place to go. Every farmer who wants to farm to have land and capital for equipment. All my food to come from my local foodshed. Whatever your holiday, I hope you spend it with good food and good friends! … Continue reading

Kitsap Local Store in Silverdale Mall – Cottage Jams

Have you tried Cottage Jams yet? These local folk source their fruits as close to home as possible. There are old standbys like apple butter and peach jam and new favorites like caramel apple butter and cranberry apple. They’re at the Kitsap Local store in the mall. I’m gifting some jars to my hard-to-buy-for 80-something friend for Christmas. Great hostess gifts too! You can always find the latest news here: Cottage Jams on Facebook. … Continue reading