The Kitsap year has two seasons: pantry and farmers market! By May all the farmers markets are open around the county. The last market closes in December.
What’s in season
It’s easier to list what’s not in season! September is the month when the corn comes in, the chickens are still laying, the last of the sweet fruits are still available, and any meal is possible.
Lettuce, kale, asian greens.
Onions, potatoes, beets, carrots.
Corn, tomatoes, cucumbers.
Blackberries, blueberries, peaches, apples, pears.
Chicken, beef, pork.
- Mains: baked chicken, baked pork chops, broiled beef, roasted root vegetables, rice and leftovers.
- Starches: rice, smashed potatoes.
- Vegetables: steamed mixed vegetables, roasted root vegetables, corn on the cob, shredded braised cabbage, braised greens.
- Salads: cucumber and tomato salad, coleslaw, fresh greens with vinaigrette.
- Desserts: peaches or berries on ice cream, fruit cobbler, poached pears.